The Arizona Lottery is dedicated to supporting the local Hispanic community while providing exciting games for its players. In cooperation with several local Hispanic organizations, the Arizona Lottery will be launching a Día de los Muertos ticket in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. The ticket and partnerships will allow the Lottery to highlight a talented, local Arizona artist while commemorating the traditions and festivities of Hispanic Heritage Month.
As part of this project, the Arizona Lottery is seeking an Arizona artist to create original artwork for the ticket, which will launch in August 2017. A minimum of two original and captivating Día de los Muertos scenes by the selected artist will be used in the design of a $2 Scratchers ticket that will be sold in more than 2,900 Arizona Lottery retailers throughout the state of Arizona. Artists of all professional levels are invited to submit 2-4 original works for consideration. The large distribution of the ticket will provide the selected artist with an exceptional opportunity to showcase their artistic talents and strengthen their presence in the Hispanic community.
A selection panel will be convened to review all submissions that meet the application requirements and deadline. Selection will be based on five areas:
1. Originality – The submitted artwork must be unique; it must not be a reproduction of another artist’s work.
2. Interpretation & Execution of Theme – The artwork must strongly reflect the Día de los Muertos holiday and its connection with Arizona Hispanic culture.
3. Overall Design & Appeal – The artwork must be eye-catching, creative and engaging to lottery players across the state.
4. Marketability – The artwork must be marketable to Arizona Lottery’s audiences and 2,900+ retailers as a Scratchers product.
5. Application Completion – All required items must be submitted and complete. Incomplete submissions will be deemed ineligible.
The selected artist will be notified by phone and email on or before March 10, 2017. The judges’ unanimous decision is final.
Negotiations may be conducted with any artists reasonably susceptible of being selected. The selected artist will be required to enter into a contract with the Lottery for public art services. The contract terms and conditions can be downloaded here - Public Art Contract
Download the Application Form - Dia de los Muertos Application
The application must be submitted as one PDF document including the items listed below:
1. Completed Application Form.
2. Images of 2-4 original works of art depicting subject matter that reflects the theme of Dia de los Muertos.
3. Artist must reside within the boundaries of the state of Arizona.
4. The artwork submitted must be scalable and proportional to 2 ½ inches wide and 4 inches in height.
5. Applications will be accepted from Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. to Monday, February 20, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Submission deadline: Friday, February 20, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Please send your submissions to Nikki O’Shea in one of the following ways:
1. By U.S. mail:
2. Hand delivery to the Customer Service desk at the Lottery’s Phoenix Office, 4740 E. University Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85034. Please request that the entry be delivered to Nikki O’Shea for the Día de los Muertos Art Contest.
3. By email to [email protected] Please indicate “Dia de los Muertos Proposal” as the subject line in the email.
Selection notification: On or before March 10, 2017.
For any questions, please call Nikki O’Shea at 480-921-4438.
This Request for Proposals does not commit the Arizona Lottery to enter into an agreement, to pay any costs incurred in the preparation of the proposal to this request or in subsequent negotiations, or to produce a contract for the project. The Arizona Lottery may cancel this solicitation, reject any and all applications in whole or in part, reissue the Request for Proposals or procure the services by other means. The Arizona Lottery is not responsible for loss of or damage to materials included with applications.
If you would like to download this Call for Artists as a pdf, please do so here.